Featured Article

Featured Article
Hamlet Summary

Architecture

Architecture
Learn About Early Temple Design

Featured Video

Featured Video
Memory of the Camps

Resume

Resume
Current Resume

Pages

Knowing We Dream

Sunday, April 25, 2010


I was a little kid I would dream that I had the ability to fly like Superman and my superhero name was "chubby boy". The dream felt so real that when I woke up I thought I would have those abilities.

As I got older, I would dream about how it would feel to get married (I know awwww) or if I would ever get to kiss Topanga from Boy Meets World. For some of my dreams I knew exactly why I dreamed them, as for others, I had no idea why I dreamed of those situations. I knew exactly why I wanted to kiss Topanga or be a superhero. However, I didn't know why I dreamed of getting married or other weird dreams. Some dream of past loves, family members, finding themselves naked in public or being chased by somethig scary.

Where do dreams come from?

Who is to decide what they mean?

One of the most famous theories is Sigmund Freud's psychoanalytic perspective in which dreams stem from unconscious thoughts and desires. Meaning, even though you aren't not thinking about a certain situation it is still weighing in your mind. It is like putting something in back of your mind and forgetting about it. If you are interested in Freud's theories on dreams he is also recognized for his famous book, The Interpretation of Dreams.

I could say Freud is right and there are certain things I do think of unconsciously or try to forget. There are many theories that many psychologists can come up with and make you wonder if they're right. Additionally, there are many websites that have many interpretations on what certain objects or situations in your dream mean.

However, out of all the years that I went to college and being a person that thinks things through, I have come to the realization that, "you know why you dream things." I know now why I dream of certain things even though they don't make sense at first. I know why I dream of getting married and wonder where I would be 10 years down the road even though at first I never had a clue.

So, if you ever wonder why you dream of something or what it means…just think really hard. And if you do think really hard but still have no idea what your dream means, there is always those palm readers.


Sent from my iPad

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

2009 ·Digital Factory by TNB